Geek Stuff | 2015 The San Diego Comic Con Recap
If you’re like me then you too missed out on another amazing 4 days in San Diego as comics best and brightest celebrated and carried on without a care in the world. Fortunately for you, here is a breakdown of some of the major highlights from SDCC and what will be happening in the months/year to come. You can find all of the original postings on CBR and News-A-Rama.
- Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness are set to create Spider-Man/Deadpool. Debuting in fall of 2015, the book will team Spidey with Deadpool as they fight an unknown evil. While Marvel hasn’t specified if the series will be an ongoing or a miniseries (my money is on a mini) they have revealed that a “major surprise” is in store for people who pick up the 1st issue.
- Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl will carry over into the “All-New, All-Different” Marvel era with a new No. 1 issue (Yay?).
- Tim Seeley of Hack/Slash fame will join artist Logan Faerber to create a new Blade on-going series that will see the day-walking vampire slayer team up with his long-lost daughter, Fallon Grey. You can check out an interview with Seeley and preliminary character art here. Marvel as Seeley tells reporters that Blade will not fight vampires in the new series and that Fallon is not a rip off of Buffy.
- Humberto Ramos is leaving Spider-Man to draw Extraordinary X-Men.
- For a closer look at Hasbro’s SDCC exclusives for Dr. Strange and Ant-Man go here. In less than 24 hours since Comic-Con concluded, both sets have made their way to eBay for upwards of $200 (I know, it makes me sick too).
- Marvel is planning to revisit their ‘What If?’ line of comics starting with Thanos and the Infinity event from 2013. The series will run for 5 issues and will explore new stories in the shape of the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans, and Norman Osborn. Joshua Williamson is set to write all 5 issues.
- J. Michael Straczynski will write The Flash: Earth One. Slated for a 2016 release, JMS says that his story will focus on the Barry Allen Flash and that “it’s a very different take on the character”.
- Frank Miller will be providing cover art and some interior art for The Dark Knight 3: The Master Race. Andy Kubert and Klaus Janson are still set to pencil all 8 chapters of Miller’s grand finale to The Dark Knight Returns.
- If you love Steven Amell and everything going on with DC’s live-action shows, check out live footage from “A Night of DC Entertainment” here.
- Dan Abnett and Paulo Siqueira will launch Titans Hunt on October 21st. The book is described as “the secret history of the Teen Titans” and will feature a never before seen team of super-powered teens.
- Grant Morrison revealed that he will be returning to Batman: Black and White with “big name talent” providing art. Morrison will also return to the world(s) of The Multiversity with ‘The Multiversity Too’. Be on the lookout for my article entitled “Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Read the Multiversity Too” in the near future.
- At the DC Upstarts panel, it was revealed that the forthcoming arc of Grayson “returns Dick to the DCU at large” with issue #12 sending him back to Gotham.
- Tim Kring revealed the official trailer for Heroes: Reborn and it’s absolutely amazing. Watch it several hundred times here.
- DC revealed their upcoming line of action figures. You can check out the first images here. Figures include characters from Arrow, The Flash, Batman vs Superman, Arkham Knight and the Snyder/Capullo Joker amongst others.
Indy Published Stuff
- It was revealed at the Kodansha Comics panel that Tony Moore (original artist of The Walking Dead) will art a variant cover for Vol. 16 of Attack on Titan. You can check out the artwork itself and a closer look at the deck of playing cards that will accompany the special edition of Vol. 16 right here.
- Both Grant Morrison and Stan Lee are elated to bring their latest independent creations to Humble Bundle. Both creations will run under the “pay what you like” method, however, if buyers pay above the average amount they will also receive Stan Lee’s ‘Chakra The Invincible’ #1-8, ‘Chakra The Invincible Short Stories,’ ‘Deepak Chopra’s Buddha: A Tale of Enlightenment’ #1-6 and ‘Black Tiger’ #1. For those willing to pay $15 or more, Grant Morrison’s ‘Avatarex’ Chapter 1, ‘18 Days’ #1-10, and ‘18 Days: The Illustrated Hardcover Scriptbook’ will also be included in the bundle.
- As a special incentive for all their loyal fans who couldn’t make it to Comic-Con, Lootcrate has put one of their 2 SDCC exclusive crates on sale. Supplies are limited so you better act fast! Click here to find out how you can get one for yourself.
Other Awesome SDCC Related Stuff
Here are some links to other epic things that happened at SDCC 2015.
– The Walking Dead season 6 trailer and details
– Agents of Shield on Secret Warriors and the upcoming season
– Jenna Coleman discusses season 9 of Doctor Who
– Spider-Man and his amazing friends won’t quit
And just like that, it’s all over (again) until next year. Time to start plotting and scheming for SDCC 2016! Be sure to check back next week for all new updates, stories, and events.
Dann D. — @kidgetnice on twitter & Instagram